The University Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI) has signed an agreement with the China Scholarship Council (CSC) to receive applications from excellent Chinese scholars who will be applying for CSC scholarships. The Politecnico di Milano offers programmes in Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and it is highly ranked among the world top universities in all these areas (precisely, 5th in the world and 3rd in Europe for Design, 10th in the world and 5th in Europe for Architecture, and 13th in the world and 7th in Europe for Engineering and Technology by the “QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022). It is located in Milan, Italy, in a highly developed industrial area in Northern Italy.
The candidates, with Chinese citizenship, interested in CSC grants, and who plan to apply to POLIMI, will have to submit their application to get an offer of admission to the Politecnico di Milano PhD program, following the procedure below.
- Determine which doctoral program you'd like to apply to and visit their website to learn more. Information about PhD programmes at the Politecnico di Milano can be found at the following page: PhD programmes.
- Collect the required transcripts and university level diplomas (pdf of the original and a translation in Italian or English) and reference letters
- Investigate potential supervisors in the graduate program you intend to apply to. Many graduate programs recommend that before applying, you make contact via email with a faculty member in the department under whose mentorship you would like to study. This person may be able to support your application in the selection process.
- Send your application by filling and submitting the following form
- Send an email with the following documents, related to your application, to the address associated with the PhD programme of your choice (you will find the email address in the form above):
- your CV, including date of birth and postal address (please send your CV according to the format CV Template
- your transcripts (marksheets) and university level diplomas (pdf of the original and a translation in Italian or English), please ensure these transcripts, diplomas and translations are in a separate pdf to the other documents. In the preadmission phase, translations can be informal, a legalized translation will be requested if admitted with the scholarship. If still attending a Master’s, we need a statement from your university attesting to your enrolment and expected completion date.
- your research proposal, an example can be found here
- a short motivation statement (max. 2500 characters)
- reference letter(s) (optional)
- if already available, transcript of English certification according to the admission requirements
- identity document
- Once you have received an offer of admission from the Politecnico di Milano, apply to the CSC doctoral scholarship program.
- The offer of admission will grant a tuition fee waiver, under the agreement between the Politecnico di Milano and CSC
- The offer of admission will be conditional to the awarding of the CSC grant. Candidates interested in applying to the Politecnico di Milano outside the CSC grant agreement will have to follow the application procedure illustrated in admission.
- Polimi will assign to each CSC scholarship recipient a research fund of 3000 EUR. This research fund can be used by the scholarship recipient to cover the expenses related to attending meetings and performing research visits.
- The candidates will have to present a certificate proving their knowledge of the English language at the level required for PhD admission at Politecnico di Milano before completing their registration at the Politecnico di Milano after receiving the CSC grant (see admission requirements).
- The duration of the PhD program is normally four years.
- General information for foreign students at the Politecnico di Milano can be obtained in the International Portal www.polinternational.polimi.it
The 2023 application period is closed.